Find a Cabinet Painter in Zumbrota, Minnesota
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited to the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for interior walls will face many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their elegant look. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those generally used on walls.
How do I know I've chosen the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to focus on is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Make sure that any contractor you hire provides documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the long prep stage necessary prior to painting all cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Zumbrota, Minnesota, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter Near Zumbrota, Minnesota Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to increase the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will match your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Zumbrota, Minnesota fluctuates, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets may be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Zumbrota, Minnesota confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.