Find Deck Staining in Aldrich, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What preparations are needed before staining a deck?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding environment needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically providing the most protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and lawn.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's essential to assess which option most fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a smart investment?
Staining a deck brings several advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Aldrich, Missouri is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Aldrich, Missouri on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and providing unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides more versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away beneath heavy use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Aldrich, Missouri and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.