Find Deck Staining in Bolivar, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which time of the year is recommended for performing my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What steps must be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding spaces must be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your home and grounds.
Is there a significant difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to analyze which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense from moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for your needs.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help revitalize the style of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you may think by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Bolivar, Missouri poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Bolivar, Missouri on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and providing unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides better versatility in colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under steady use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the process. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting a professional who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Bolivar, Missouri and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.