Find a Cabinet Painter in Carthage, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any difference with cabinet paint and regular paint?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated look. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those generally applied to walls.
How can I choose the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the perfect one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to start is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by assessing any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is the difficult prep step necessary before painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to the cost of painting cabinets?
There are many factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Carthage, MO, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Cabinets for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter in Carthage, MO
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Carthage, MO varies, but many homeowners have reported spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Carthage, MO confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.