Find a Cabinet Painter in De Soto, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited by the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for interior walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek aesthetic. Typical wall paints will not adhere adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How can I choose a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by understanding precisely what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any professional you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Will I need to prime cabinets cabinets before painting?
It's always tempting to quickly start painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will it cost to paint my present cabinets?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In De Soto, Missouri, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in De Soto, Missouri to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in De Soto, Missouri varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in De Soto, Missouri easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.