Find a Cabinet Painter in Eureka, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
How do I know I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to start is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you consider provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I just paint over my home's cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those edges that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I have to budget to paint my current cabinets?
There are several things that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Eureka, MO, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Beautify Your Home for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter in Eureka, MO
An exceptional way to boost the appeal of your property and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Eureka, MO varies, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets might be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Find all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Eureka, MO easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.