Find Deck Staining in Eureka, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What preparations will a contractor conduct before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding environment needs to be carried out to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid typically delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for low strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your house and yard.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's essential to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires more upkeep due to peeling and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs less effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for you and your home.
Will staining my deck offer any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may think by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Eureka, MO is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Eureka, MO on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and delivering long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides better variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Eureka, MO and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.