Find Deck Staining in Jamestown, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain season that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep will a contractor perform before diving into deck staining?
Careful prep of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the look of your house and lawn.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is the cost of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Jamestown, MO is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Jamestown, MO on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and delivering long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives more variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Jamestown, MO and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.