Find Deck Staining in Labadie, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What prep should be performed before staining a deck?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding spaces must be carried out to ensure a good result. Vegetation will need to be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid usually providing superior protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for low durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and yard.
Will deck staining provide less advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to assess which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of chipping and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for your needs.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Labadie, MO poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Labadie, MO on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and providing long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more versatility in colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a pro who can promise excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Labadie, MO and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.