Find Deck Staining in Lamar, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the optimal season for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What preparations will a contractor conduct before diving into deck staining?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid typically providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your house and yard.
What are the benefits of applying stain to my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's essential to consider which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering a deep layer of protection from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is the price of professional deck staining justified by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Lamar, MO poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Lamar, MO on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Lamar, MO and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.