Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Lexington, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
How often should cabinets undergo refinishing?
One of the great benefits about wood is that it is able to be refinished many times to make furniture appear as it did when new, which applies to wood cabinets, as well. The frequency at which a professional can refinish cabinets is dependent on a few factors, such as the quality of the wood, the materials used, and how well the cabinets have been cared for. How long your refinished cabinets will hold up before the project needs to be done again is dependent on wear and tear and what sort of maintenance you perform. A professional cabinet refinishing job will typically last anywhere between five and ten years or longer, depending on the factors mentioned above.
When should I choose to refinish my cabinets as opposed to purchasing them new?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always less expensive than purchasing new ones and is a wise investment in many scenarios, including when:
- Current Cabinets Are in Good Condition: If the cabinets are damaged or significantly warped, it could be more beneficial to go with a replacement.
- Environmental Sustainability Is a Value: If environmental sustainability is a priority, you may want to think about cabinet refinishing as an ideal practice to reduce landfill trash by refreshing your existing cabinets.
- You Want To Achieve a Unique Look: Refinishing can be done in a wide variety of colors and finishes to bring to life a look that is wholly unique and suits your sense of style.
- Trying To Achieve a Better Return on Investment: If you're planning to sell your property, cabinet refinishing can be a relatively inexpensive way to boost its appeal to try and maximize ROI.
- You Are Pleased With the Existing Layout and Operability: You're existing cabinets may already work well with your kitchen's design and deliver ideal functionality.
- Avoiding Disruption is Preferred: Cabinet refinishing involves minimal disruption to your home in contrast to a complete cabinet replacement.
Homeowners of Lexington, MO have communicated paying as much as 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Before deciding on cabinet refinishing, analyze your specific preferences, budget, and the condition of your cabinets to know if this option is best for you.
Are there some particular certificates or qualifications I need to look for from a cabinet refinishing professional?
While there may not be industry-mandated licenses specifically for cabinet refinishing contractors, there are important qualifications and indicators of expertise that you can look for when vetting someone to refinish your cabinets. Many of the best contractors will highlight any certifications in carpentry, woodworking, or a related field on their Thumbtack page.
You should ask the contractor you are considering hiring for a portfolio with pictures of cabinets they have refinished for previous clients, especially for results that look like the style you're trying to accomplish. Along with a picture gallery, most professional contractors can demonstrate their experience and dependability through online customer reviews.
A reputable expert should give a detailed written estimate of the job before it starts, outlining the scope of work, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors need to have good communication skills and be able to answer any questions and concerns regarding cost, schedule, and quality during the refinishing project. It would be wise to also ask about any warranties or guarantees with the service, which is another factor that can show they have faith in the quality of their workmanship.
How is cabinet refinishing carried out?
A professional handling your cabinet refinishing task will follow an established process for efficiency and proven results. There are usually several steps taken to transform the appearance of existing cabinets, including:
- Evaluation and Prepping: Cabinets are first assessed to ensure they are in proper condition to be refinished. If they are, all gear will be removed, including handles, knobs, and hinges, and the surfaces need to be cleaned to remove any dirt, grease, or other residue.
- Repair and Fill: Some minor issues, like cracks, dents, or other blemishes in the wood can be repaired or filled to better blend in when staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Whatever you choose for paint, stain, or finishing technique will be applied in thin, even coats to achieve the look you're looking for. The drying and curing process is crucial to giving a high-quality result, and could require several hours to accomplish.
- Reassembly: After the paint or stain completely cures, all gear can be reattached and cabinets completely reassembled for use. A quality inspection will ensure the final results satisfies your expectations, which includes a last cleanup of the complete work area.
It's useful to note that any refinishing project may vary based on aspects like the kind of cabinets and the desired finish. Additionally, contractors may employ detailed methods, such as distressing or glazing, to accomplish specific aesthetic effects, which will require a longer process with more steps. Make sure to speak clearly with anyone you employ to guarantee they can bring your vision to reality.
Employ a Contractor for Cabinet Refinishing in Lexington, MO
Cabinet refinishing is an ideal way to beautify the look of your kitchen by updating the appearance of existing cabinets without the need for a complete replacement. Experienced cabinet refinishers sand and apply customized finishes, including paint, stain, or other methods to your existing cabinets to give a new look that fits your sense of style and design preferences.
The cost-effectiveness of cabinet refinishing is one of its primary advantages, and several homeowners in Lexington, MO have reported paying up to 70% less than the price of having new cabinets built and hung. Attaining a fresh and modern look for your kitchen cabinets for less money will give you a bigger return on your investment, increasing the value of your home in the process.
Environmental considerations also play a role in why more homeowners are choosing to refinish their cabinets instead of buy and install new ones. Refinishing is a green option that celebrates eco-conscious values in home improvement by minimizing harmful waste and reducing demand for wood products.
Another great benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the process is much less chaotic to your lifestyle than the work it takes to install new ones. Whether purchasing stock or custom-built new cabinets, the space where they're hung will often need to undergo some level of demolition and reconstruction for them to fit adequately. The result is much more dust and could take weeks or months to get your kitchen ready for use again, whereas an effective refinishing job is less messy and the better solution for anyone on a tight schedule.
When searching for a contractor for your cabinet refinishing project, get a feel for their experience and skill through pictures of their past work, if they supply any guarantees on their workmanship, online customer reviews, and how clearly they communicate with you about time and budget. All of this important information and more is on the powerful Thumbtack platform to help you hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Lexington, MO with confidence.