Find Deck Staining in Malden, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Missouri // Malden
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some advantages of applying stain to a deck compared to painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to analyze which option best suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be right for your needs.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck brings several advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Malden, MO is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long should it take a professional to stain my deck according to my vision?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the following step. The environment surrounding the work area, including pathways and buildings, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you pick the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the curing step.
Each of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Does the weather play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Malden, MO on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has better variety of colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Malden, MO and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.