Find a Cabinet Painter in Marthasville, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I limited by the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint generally used for home walls will encounter some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant look. Common wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Which features should I expect in a professional cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the most suitable one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to begin is by understanding precisely what style you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate widely. Check that any contractor you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Marthasville, MO, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Renew Your Kitchen for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter in Marthasville, MO
A smart way to increase the appeal of your home and update the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter near Marthasville, MO fluctuates, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Marthasville, MO easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.