Find Deck Staining in Maryland Heights, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather play a hand in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What prep will a professional conduct before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed prepping of the deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and yard.
What are the advantages of applying stain to my deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's important to consider which option best suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is the price of professional deck staining justified by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. The climate in Maryland Heights, Missouri poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Maryland Heights, Missouri on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Maryland Heights, Missouri and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.