Find a Cabinet Painter in Maywood, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint is used with cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their modern appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How do I determine if I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. The best place to focus on is by knowing exactly what look you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I paint my cabinets before sanding?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to the price for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Maywood, Missouri, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Maywood, Missouri
A quick way to increase the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Maywood, Missouri fluctuates, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Maywood, Missouri confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.