Find Deck Staining in Ridgedale, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the best weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck works better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing should take, and it's essential that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Prior to staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be conducted to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation will need to be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid generally providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and grounds.
What are some benefits of staining my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better defense against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for your needs.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck provides several benefits, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help revitalize the style of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Ridgedale, MO is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Ridgedale, MO on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly cured.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a pro who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Ridgedale, MO and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.