Find Deck Staining in Rockaway Beach, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which season of the year is recommended for undertaking a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep should be performed before staining a deck?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing superior defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and grounds.
Is there a big variance in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to assess which option best suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of peeling and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense against moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for your needs.
Does staining a deck deliver any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Rockaway Beach, MO is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Rockaway Beach, MO on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it chips away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Executing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Rockaway Beach, MO and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.