Find Deck Staining in Saint Louis, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which factors most affect the cost of expert deck staining services?
Several things will affect the cost of expert deck staining services, but size and the current condition of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors will give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but this price can increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The type of stain you pick for your deck will be reflected in the final price, and premium options featuring better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to reach or maneuver around will contribute to higher labor costs from a professional service. Any extra services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple coats of stain, could also increase the overall costs.
When looking for professional deck staining services, it's important to get multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about the timeline for your project. You will discover all this information to make informed decisions and hire the best contractor for the job on Thumbtack.
What steps are followed during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that needs careful preparation and application to get the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. The environment around the work area, including pathways and structures, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's essential that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting during the curing step.
All of these steps can be complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Will the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that are taken?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding environment must be carried out to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and grounds.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Saint Louis, Missouri on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Saint Louis, Missouri and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.