Find Deck Staining in Sturgeon, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What factors play a significant role in the cost of deck staining services?
Many things will affect the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the biggest impact. Contractors should provide an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but the price may go up if extensive prep or repairs need to be completed before stain is applied.
The brand of stain you choose for your project will be included in the final price, and high-end products featuring better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Keep in mind that how challenging your deck is to reach or work around might result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple layers of stain, can also increase your final costs.
When evaluating professional deck staining services, it's essential to obtain multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about the timeline for your project. Residents of Sturgeon, Missouri will find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and hire the most suitable contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
How long will it take an expert to finish a deck staining project?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application during the next step. Anything immediately outside of the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you pick the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying process.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep will a contractor carry out before diving into deck staining?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and nearby walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and grounds.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Sturgeon, Missouri on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Sturgeon, Missouri and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.