Find Deck Staining in Wildwood, Missouri
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which time of the year is suggested for undertaking a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that are taken?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding environment needs to be carried out to ensure a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your home and grounds.
What are the advantages of staining a deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option best suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs less effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is right for your needs.
Can staining my deck help protect it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck provides several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to guarantee excellent results. The weather in Wildwood, Missouri is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Wildwood, Missouri on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting offers more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Wildwood, Missouri and choose the right one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.