Find a Cabinet Painter in Olive Branch, Mississippi
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Typical wall paints might not stick properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Is it difficult to find a good cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to start is by knowing precisely what style you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any contractor you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the difficult prep stage necessary prior to painting all cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What is the typical price of a professional cabinet painter?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Olive Branch, Mississippi, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's advised to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Olive Branch, Mississippi Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Life
A smart way to increase the value of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Olive Branch, Mississippi varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Olive Branch, Mississippi confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.