Find Deck Staining in Purvis, Mississippi
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the biggest factors of the price for expert deck staining?
Many things can affect the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors will give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but the price will increase if extensive prep and repairs need to be completed before application.
The type of stain you pick for the project will be calculated into the final price, and high-end products with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how difficult your deck is to access or maneuver around will contribute to higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple layers of stain, can also raise the overall cost.
When looking for professional deck staining services, it's essential to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about scheduling. Homeowners can discover all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
How much time should I expect a contractor to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a consistent application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, including walkways and buildings, will have to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you choose the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's important that the deck is not touched and that the weather is fitting for the drying process.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is critical to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while delivering the desired appearance and durability.
What season of the year is recommended for undertaking my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Prior to staining a deck, what are the preparatory steps that are taken?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding area must be performed to ensure a good result. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the style of your house and lawn.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Purvis, Mississippi on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives better versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away under constant use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years if properly cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Purvis, Mississippi and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.