Find Deck Staining in Sumrall, Mississippi
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a significant difference in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's important to assess which option most meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance because of chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better defense from water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Sumrall, Mississippi is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long can it take a professional to complete my deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that needs careful preparation and execution to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, including walkways and structures, will also need to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you pick the right type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is acceptable for the drying process.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but attention to detail is critical to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
Is there a certain season that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Sumrall, Mississippi on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Sumrall, Mississippi and choose the right one matching your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.