Find Deck Staining in Walls, Mississippi
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a particular time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep is required prior to staining a deck?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be performed to guarantee a good result. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your home and lawn.
Will painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also demands more upkeep because of flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of defense from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for you and your home.
Is staining my deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Walls, MS is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Walls, MS on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Walls, MS and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.