Find Deck Staining in Arlington, Nebraska
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What season of the year is suggested for conducting my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What preparations will a professional undertake before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be carried out to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be removed, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid typically providing superior defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and grounds.
What are the advantages of staining a deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's important to consider which option most suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance because of peeling and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the price if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Arlington, NE is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Arlington, NE on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can share when it comes to choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years if properly cured.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Arlington, NE and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.