Find a Cabinet Painter in Decatur, Nebraska
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Nebraska // Decatur
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to update the appearance of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for interior walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Typical wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
How do I choose the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the perfect one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by knowing precisely what look you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is it really crucial to prime or sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to immediately start painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost of painting cabinets?
There are several things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Decatur, Nebraska, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll want to talk about your home's particular cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Decatur, Nebraska to Bring Your Vision to Reality
A quick way to boost the appeal of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Decatur, Nebraska varies, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the variety of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets may be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Decatur, Nebraska confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.