Find Deck Staining in Elkhorn, Nebraska
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a significant variance in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to analyze which option best fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also demands more maintenance due to peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for your needs.
Is staining a deck worth the price if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck brings several advantages, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Elkhorn, Nebraska poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long will it take a contractor to complete a deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a consistent application of the stain. The environment surrounding the work area, including walkways and structures, will have to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you pick the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting during the curing step.
All of these steps can be complex and tedious, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
Will the climate play a role in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Elkhorn, Nebraska on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Elkhorn, Nebraska and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.