Find a Cabinet Painter in Palmyra, Nebraska
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my project?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The first place to start is by knowing precisely what look you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Professional contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to pop up after the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is it necessary to prime and sand cabinets before painting?
It's always tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the usual cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Palmyra, Nebraska, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Palmyra, Nebraska
An exceptional way to enhance the appeal of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them a new look that will match your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Palmyra, Nebraska varies, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in good enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Palmyra, Nebraska confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.