Find Deck Staining in Greenland, New Hampshire
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's essential to consider which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better protection against moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Greenland, New Hampshire poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long can I expect a contractor to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, like pathways and structures, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you understand the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's important that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting during the drying process.
Each of these steps can be complex and tedious, but attention to detail is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job fast while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Can the climate play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Greenland, New Hampshire on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and providing unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting gives better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it peels away under constant use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Greenland, New Hampshire and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.