Find Deck Staining in Lempster, New Hampshire
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is it better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to assess which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better protection from water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Is staining my deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, including enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the look of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Lempster, New Hampshire is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How much time can I anticipate a professional to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that needs careful preparation and application to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a smooth application of the stain. The environment around the work area, including walkways and buildings, will also need to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you understand the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's important that the deck is not used and that the weather is suitable for the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Lempster, New Hampshire on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and delivering unmatched protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that experts can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides more versatility in colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it peels away beneath steady use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Lempster, New Hampshire and choose the right one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.