Find Deck Staining in New London, New Hampshire
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // New Hampshire // New London
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will deck staining give less advantages than painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique advantages, so it's important to assess which option best meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires more maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of protection against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is best for your needs.
Can staining a deck give any advantages other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The weather in New London, New Hampshire poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long should it take a professional to stain my deck the way I wanted?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and application to get the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application during the following step. Anything around the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will also need to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable for the curing process.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A dependable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while delivering the desired look and durability.
Does the climate play a role in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near New London, New Hampshire on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and providing unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away under steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years if properly cured.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in New London, New Hampshire and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.