Find Deck Staining in North Conway, New Hampshire
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the best season for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What preparations will a contractor perform before diving into deck staining?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding environment must be carried out to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid generally providing superior protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and yard.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's important to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better protection against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is right for your needs.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck comes with many advantages, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in North Conway, New Hampshire poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near North Conway, New Hampshire on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and providing unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides better versatility in colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath steady use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in North Conway, New Hampshire and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.