Find Deck Staining in Northwood, New Hampshire
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What preparations are suggested prior to staining a deck?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be performed to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation should be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your house and grounds.
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to assess which option best meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires more upkeep due to flaking and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of protection from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help safeguard it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck provides many benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that can help revitalize the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may think when choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Northwood, NH is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Northwood, NH on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and delivering unmatched durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides better variety of colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Executing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Northwood, NH and choose the right one matching your vision and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.