Find a Cabinet Painter in Rochester, New Hampshire
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference between cabinet paint and regular paint?
A frequently asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will face many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that elegant look. Typical wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
Is it hard to find a good cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any painter you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to pop up once the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I just paint over my present cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt and grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in most cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will I need to budget to paint my existing cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Rochester, NH, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Rochester, NH to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Rochester, NH fluctuates, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
While looking for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Rochester, NH confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.