Find a Cabinet Painter in Rumney, New Hampshire
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What type of paint do you use with cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for home walls will encounter many difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sleek appearance. Typical wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How do I pick a painting contractor?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to start is by understanding precisely what aesthetic you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any contractor you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will it cost to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are several things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Rumney, New Hampshire, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter Near Rumney, New Hampshire Who Can Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will match your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Rumney, New Hampshire varies, but many customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets may be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While hunting for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be willing to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all important information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Rumney, New Hampshire confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.