Find Deck Staining in Washington, New Hampshire
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the optimal weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What prep will a professional carry out before diving into deck staining?
Careful prepping of the deck and the surrounding environment must be carried out to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has minimal strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and yard.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option best suits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be right for your needs.
Is the price of professional deck staining justified by any real benefits?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The climate in Washington, New Hampshire is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Washington, New Hampshire on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives better variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a pro who can deliver excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Washington, New Hampshire and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.