Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Allentown, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
How many times can cabinets be refinished
One of the great advantages with wood is that it is able to be refinished several times to make the product look as it did when new, which applies to wood cabinets, as well. The frequency at which one can refinish cabinets is dependent on many factors, including the durability of the cabinets, the components, and how well the cabinets have been maintained. How long your refinished cabinets will last before the project needs to be done again is dependent on how often they are used and what sort of maintenance you perform. A thorough cabinet refinishing job could last anywhere from 5 to 10 years or more, depending on the factors mentioned above.
Is cabinet refinishing a good investment in my house?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always less expensive than buying new models and is a wise investment in many scenarios, including when:
- Existing Cabinets Are in Decent Condition: When your cabinets are damaged or deteriorating, it could be more beneficial to consider replacement.
- Living "Green" Is a Value: If environmental sustainability is a priority, you might want to think about cabinet refinishing as a better practice to reduce waste by refreshing your existing cabinets.
- You Want Unique and Personalized Cabinets: Refinishing gives you choices between a wide variety of colors and finishes to achieve a vision that is wholly unique and matches your sense of style.
- Boosting Home Resale Value Cost-Effectively: If you're preparing to sell your house, cabinet refinishing can be a cost-effective way to enhance its appeal to try and maximize profits.
- You Are Pleased With the Existing Layout and Operability: You're existing cabinets might already fit in great with your kitchen's layout and deliver ideal functionality.
- Minimal Disruption is Preferred: Cabinet refinishing requires less chaos to your daily life compared to a complete cabinet replacement.
Residents of Allentown, NJ have communicated spending as much as 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Prior to picking cabinet refinishing, evaluate your personal preferences, budget, and the current state of your cabinets to discover if this project is best for you.
Are there some specific certificates or qualifications I need to look for from a cabinet refinishing professional?
While there may not be industry-standard certifications specifically for cabinet refinishing professionals, there are some qualifications and indicators of skill that you can look for when hiring someone to refinish your cabinets. Most professional contractors will showcase their background in carpentry, woodworking, or a relevant skill on their Thumbtack profile.
You will want to ask the contractor you are considering hiring for photos of cabinets they have refinished in the past, especially featuring results that are similar to the style you're trying to accomplish. Besides a portfolio, most professional contractors can showcase their experience and reputation through online client reviews.
A dependable expert should provide a clear written estimate of the job before it starts, listing the scope of work, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors need to possess excellent communication skills and be able to answer any questions and concerns regarding budget, schedule, and quality throughout the refinishing project. It would be wise to also ask for warranties or guarantees from a contractor, which is another indication that can show they have faith in the quality of their workmanship.
How is cabinet refinishing conducted?
A professional handling your cabinet refinishing job will follow an established process for speed and excellent results. There are usually numerous steps used to transform the appearance of existing cabinets, including:
- Assessment and Preparation: Cabinets should be first assessed to ensure they are in good enough condition to be refinished. If they are, all hardware will be removed, like handles, knobs, and hinges, and the surfaces will be cleaned of dirt, grease, or other residue.
- Repair and Fill: Some minor issues, like cracks, dings, and similar blemishes in the wood can be repaired or filled to better blend in when staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Your choice of paint, stain, or finishing method will be applied in thin, even coats to accomplish the look you're looking for. The drying and curing stage will be critical to ensuring a high-quality outcome, and could require several hours to complete.
- Reassembly: Once your paint or stain completely cures, all gear can be put back on and cabinets completely reassembled for use. Performing a quality inspection will guarantee the finished project meets your expectations, which includes a final cleanup of the full work area.
It's important to note that any refinishing project may vary depending on things like the kind of cabinets and the desired finish. Additionally, professionals may perform detailed methods, such as distressing or glazing, to accomplish specific stylistic effects, which will require a longer amount of time. Be sure to speak clearly with anyone you hire to ensure they can bring your vision to life.
Discover The Right Professional for Cabinet Refinishing in Allentown, NJ
Cabinet refinishing is a great way to transform the look of your space by updating the appearance of existing cabinets without the need for a total replacement. Professional cabinet refinishers sand and apply customized finishes, such as paint, stain, or other methods to your present cabinets to deliver a new look that aligns with your sense of style and design preferences.
The affordability of cabinet refinishing is one of the first benefits, and many people in Allentown, NJ have reported spending as much as 70% less than they would on having new cabinets built and installed. Achieving a fresh and modern look for your used cabinets for less money will maximize the return on your investment, increasing the value of your home simultaneously.
Environmental considerations also play a part in why many people are choosing to refinish used cabinets rather than buy and install new models. Refinishing is a green choice that prioritizes eco-conscious practices in home improvement by minimizing toxic waste and reducing demand for wood materials.
Another excellent benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the service will be much less chaotic to your home than the work it takes to install new ones. Regardless of purchasing stock or custom-made new cabinets, the kitchen where they're installed will often face some degree of demolition and reconstruction for them to fit adequately. The consequence is much more dust and could take weeks or months to get your kitchen ready for use again, whereas an efficient refinishing job is less messy and a convenient alternative for anyone on a tight schedule.
When searching for a contractor for your cabinet refinishing job, get a feel for their experience and expertise through pictures of their past work, if they offer any warranties on their workmanship, online client reviews, and how well they communicate with you about time and budget. All of this valuable information and more can be found on the powerful Thumbtack platform to help you hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Allentown, NJ with confidence.