Find Deck Staining in Andover, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the best season for staining my deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive humidity will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparatory measures must be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Detailed preparation of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be washed or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species has minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your home and lawn.
Will deck staining offer fewer benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to assess which option most suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also needs more upkeep due to flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for you and your home.
Is staining my deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might think by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Andover, NJ is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Andover, NJ on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and delivering unmatched durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides better variety of colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Andover, NJ and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.