Find a Cabinet Painter in Belmar, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Belmar
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will it matter what kind of paint I pick for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint typically used for interior walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that elegant appearance. Typical wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Comparing cabinet painters to discover the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their prior work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any painter you hire provides written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How do I estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are several factors that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Belmar, New Jersey, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Renew Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Belmar, New Jersey
An exceptional way to boost the value of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Belmar, New Jersey fluctuates, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While looking for the best cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information needed to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Belmar, New Jersey confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.