Find Deck Staining in Columbia, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What steps must be taken before beginning the deck staining process?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be conducted to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid typically delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and lawn.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to analyze which option best suits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of protection against water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for your needs.
Is the cost of professional deck staining offset by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Columbia, New Jersey poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Columbia, New Jersey on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting provides more variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it chips away under steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the project. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Columbia, New Jersey and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.