Find Deck Staining in East Rutherford, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option most meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the extensive selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help shield it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in East Rutherford, NJ poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long could it take a contractor to stain my deck the way I envisioned?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and application to get the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application during the next step. The environment surrounding the work area, like walkways and buildings, will have to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you choose the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable during the curing step.
All of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Does the climate play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in East Rutherford, NJ on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and delivering unmatched protection from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers more variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it peels away under steady use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a professional who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in East Rutherford, NJ and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.