Find Deck Staining in Fairview, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will deck staining offer fewer benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting have different benefits, so it's essential to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires more upkeep because of flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense against water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for you and your home.
Will staining a deck provide any advantages other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Fairview, NJ poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are involved during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and execution to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, such as pathways and buildings, will have to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you pick the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable for the curing step.
Each of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but attention to detail is vital to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Will the weather play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Fairview, NJ on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its appearance and delivering long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides better versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining any deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can guarantee excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Fairview, NJ and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.