Find Deck Staining in Glen Ridge, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much humidity can extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What prep is advised before staining a deck?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing the most protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your home and yard.
Will painting my deck be a smarter option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to consider which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is the cost of professional deck staining justified by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Glen Ridge, NJ poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include stopping insects and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get the most out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Glen Ridge, NJ on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly cured.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Glen Ridge, NJ and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.