Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Hillsborough, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
How long will cabinets that have been refinished last
One of the best benefits about wood is that it is able to be refinished several times to make the product appear the way it did when new, and this benefit applies to wood cabinets, too. How many times a professional can refinish cabinets depends on many factors, including the strength of the wood, the components, and how well the cabinets have been cared for. How long any refinished cabinets will last before the process must be repeated depends on wear and tear and what sort of maintenance you conduct. A well-done cabinet refinishing job should last anywhere between five and ten years or more, depending on the factors mentioned above.
How do I know if cabinet refinishing is the right option to bring my vision to reality?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always cheaper than purchasing new ones and is a worthwhile investment in many circumstances, including when:
- Existing Cabinets Are in Decent Condition: If your cabinets are damaged or decayed, it may be more cost-effective to consider replacement.
- Living "Green" Is a Priority: If environmental sustainability is a priority, you may want to consider cabinet refinishing as an ideal way to limit waste by upcycling your current cabinets.
- You Want To Achieve a Unique Look: Refinishing can be done in a wide range of colors and finishes to bring to life a look that is totally unique and suits your tastes.
- Trying To Get a Better Return on Investment: If you're preparing to sell your house, cabinet refinishing is a relatively affordable way to boost its appeal to try and maximize ROI.
- You Are Pleased With the Existing Layout and Operability: You're current cabinets might already work perfectly with your kitchen's design and give ideal functionality.
- Avoiding Disruption is Necessary: Cabinet refinishing requires minimal disruption to your home compared to a full cabinet replacement.
Residents in Hillsborough, New Jersey have detailed paying nearly 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Prior to deciding on cabinet refinishing, evaluate your personal preferences, budget, and the current state of your cabinets to understand if this project is best for you.
Which certifications or licenses will a cabinet refinishing professional likely have?
Though there may not be industry-mandated certifications designed for cabinet refinishing contractors, there are important qualifications and indicators of skill that you can look for when vetting someone to refinish your cabinets. Most professional contractors will highlight their background in carpentry, woodworking, or a relevant skill on their Thumbtack profile.
You should ask the contractor you are considering hiring for a portfolio with pictures of cabinets they have refinished in other homes, especially for results that look like the style you're trying to accomplish. Besides a portfolio, most professional contractors can showcase their experience and dependability with online client feedback.
A reliable expert can give a detailed written estimate of the job before it starts, listing the scope of services, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors should have adequate communication skills and be able to answer any questions and concerns regarding cost, time, and quality throughout the refinishing project. It would be wise to also ask about any warranties or guarantees with the service, which is another factor that can show they have faith in the quality of their craftsmanship.
How will contractors perform cabinet refinishing?
A contractor handling your cabinet refinishing task will follow an established process for efficiency and excellent results. There are usually many steps used to transform the look of existing cabinets, for example:
- Evaluation and Preparation: Cabinets are first assessed to ensure they are in proper condition to be refinished. If they are, all hardware will be removed, including handles, knobs, and hinges, and the surfaces need to be cleaned of dirt, grease, or other contaminants.
- Touch-Up and Fill: Some small damage, such as scratches, dings, and similar blemishes in the wood can be repaired or filled before being blended in with staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Your choice of paint, stain, or finishing method will be applied in thin, even coats to get the look you're looking for. The drying and curing stage is critical to imparting a professional result, and may require several hours to accomplish.
- Reassembly: After your paint or stain has dried, all parts can be put back on and cabinets completely reassembled for use. A quality inspection will ensure the finished project meets your standards, which includes a last cleanup of the entire work area.
It's useful to keep in mind that every refinishing project may vary depending on factors like the type of cabinets and the desired finish. Also, contractors may perform specialized methods, such as distressing or glazing, to accomplish specific stylistic effects, which will require a longer process with more steps. Be sure to communicate directly with any contractor you employ to guarantee they can bring your vision to reality.
Hire a Professional for Cabinet Refinishing Near Hillsborough, New Jersey
Cabinet refinishing is a great way to transform the style of your kitchen by updating the appearance of current cabinets without the need for a full replacement. Experienced cabinet refinishers sand and apply customized finishes, like paint, stain, or other methods to your existing cabinets to give a new look that suits your sense of style and design preferences.
The affordability of cabinet refinishing is one of the first perks, and several homeowners in Hillsborough, New Jersey have reported paying up to 70% less than they would on having new cabinets built and installed. Achieving a fresh and updated look for your used cabinets for less money will maximize the return on your investment, increasing the value of your home at the same time.
Sustainable solutions also play a part in why many homeowners are choosing to refinish their cabinets instead of buy and install new ones. Refinishing is a green choice that aligns with eco-conscious practices in home improvement by minimizing harmful waste and lessening demand for wood products.
Another great benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the process is many times less chaotic to your home than the mess generated to install new ones. Whether buying stock or custom-made new cabinets, the space where they're installed will often face some level of demolition and reconstruction for them to fit adequately. The result is much more debris everywhere and could take weeks or months to get your kitchen ready for use again, whereas an effective refinishing job is less messy and a convenient solution for those working with a shorter timeframe.
When considering a contractor for your cabinet refinishing project, gain insights into their experience and skill through pictures of their past work, if they offer any guarantees on their workmanship, online client reviews, and how clearly they communicate with you about time and budget. All of this valuable information and more is on the powerful Thumbtack site so you can hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Hillsborough, New Jersey confidently.