Find a Cabinet Painter in Hillside, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Hillside
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to update the look of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their modern appearance. Typical wall paints will not stick adequately to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The best place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work matching your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any painter you hire gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reliability by assessing their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Is it really crucial to prime or sand cabinets before painting?
It's may be tempting to immediately start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its hardware, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What is the average price for a professional cabinet painting contractor?
There are many factors that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Hillside, New Jersey, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter will need to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Hillside, New Jersey to Bring Your Vision to Life
A smart way to boost the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Hillside, New Jersey fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates of different contractors in your location, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in good enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should look at their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information you need to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Hillside, New Jersey confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.