Find a Cabinet Painter in Jackson, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Jackson
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to renew the look of my cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint preferred for interior walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant aesthetic. Typical wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those usually used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my project?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the perfect one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to begin is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's expected completion. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reliability by checking any online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is the long prep step a necessity when painting my cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach any edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing price for painting cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Jackson, NJ, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Beautify Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter Near Jackson, NJ
A quick way to increase the appeal of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Jackson, NJ fluctuates, but many customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in good enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Jackson, NJ easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.