Find Deck Staining in Keansburg, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are some benefits of applying stain to a deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to assess which option most suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands more upkeep due to flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining justified by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the style of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The climate in Keansburg, New Jersey poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How much time can I expect a contractor to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. The environment around the work area, including pathways and buildings, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the curing step.
Each of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Is there a certain time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Keansburg, New Jersey on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and delivering long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Keansburg, New Jersey and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.