Find Deck Staining in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which season of the year is suggested for carrying out my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Before staining a deck, what are the preparatory actions that are taken?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to guarantee a good result. Vegetation should be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and lawn.
Is there a big difference in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer different benefits, so it's important to consider which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs more upkeep due to flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option will be right for your needs.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the look of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and providing unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.