Find a Cabinet Painter in Lincoln Park, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // New Jersey // Lincoln Park
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
A frequently asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their elegant appearance. Typical wall paints might not adhere adequately to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also needs extended drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
Which qualities do I expect from a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to discover the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. The best place to begin is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their prior work similar to your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you consider provides written statements of all equipment and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for any surprises to occur after the project commences that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Is it necessary to prime or sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost of painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Lincoln Park, NJ, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to discuss your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Update Your Home for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter Near Lincoln Park, NJ
A smart way to boost the appeal of your house and refresh the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Lincoln Park, NJ varies, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the planet when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Lincoln Park, NJ confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.