Find a Cabinet Painter in Magnolia, New Jersey
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the type of paint I can use for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Common wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
How do I determine if I've found the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the best one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's always tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt or grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to any nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will I need to pay to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are several things that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Magnolia, NJ, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Beautify Your Cabinets for Less With a Professional Cabinet Painter Near Magnolia, NJ
An exceptional way to increase the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Magnolia, NJ varies, but some customers have reported spending as much as three times less on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then inquire a number of different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Find all the information you need to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Magnolia, NJ easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.